Children and adults with special needs by:
Handler/pet therapy teams by:
- Promoting a professional level of VPFT practice.
- Developing certification standards for education and training in VPFT practice.
- Developing specific programs to serve each exceptionally challenged population that could benefit from VPFT.
All animals and privately owned pets involved in VPFT by:
- Educating volunteers in the practice of VPFT through a training seminar, self-study manual and on-site observations and trial visits.
- Providing levels of certification in the practice of VPFT.
- Providing dog testing and dog evaluations.
- Providing placement and placement counseling.
- Providing ongoing advice, support, follow-up and problem solving assistance.
Facilities seeking and agencies sponsoring handler/pet therapy teams by:
- Developing standards for the use of animals in VPFT
- Vigorously protecting the welfare, comfort and well being of all animals used in VPFT.
Facilities being served by handler/pet teams by:
- Matching volunteer interest surveys with the facility's needs.
- Maintaining lists of all groups providing or sponsoring handler/pet therapy teams.
- Maintaining lists of all facilities and agencies seeking handler/pet teams.
- Maintaining lists of types of pet therapy services being sought and being offered.
- Maintaining lists of specific individuals with special needs receiving or requiring VPFT.
- Providing follow-up and evaluation services.
- Providing in service programs.